Whenever a product or service becomes popular and successful, people like to capitalize on the buzz, jump on the bandwagon and add the shiny new object to their portfolio. Unfortunately, many of these bandwagon jumpers tend to mislead customers by simply placing a new name on their old product or service.
In the world of cloud computing, this practice is called cloudwashing. Simply put, cloudwashers tout cloud services that aren’t really cloud services.
A study by Six Degrees Group found that 45 percent of IT decision-makers think cloudwashing by technology marketers is a growing problem. 51 percent of respondents feel that IT companies generally use more confusing industry jargon and acronyms than politicians, bankers and law firms combined. Cloudwashing makes the situation even more troublesome.
Here are the facts about cloud computing. According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), cloud services enable “ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources.”
Cloud services typically have the following characteristics:
- Pay-per-use billing as a monthly fee or subscription
- Accessibility from desktop computers, laptops and mobile devices
- Virtual infrastructure hosted by a service provider
- Multitenancy (the sharing of common IT resources by multiple companies)
- Simple elasticity and scalability
- Resource usage measurement
One of the three main categories of cloud computing is Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS). Using an IaaS model, a company’s IT infrastructure is outsourced to a service provider.
This infrastructure can include everything from servers and operating systems to apps and firewalls. The service provider owns, manages, maintains and monitors the IT infrastructure, ensuring optimal network performance and security.
The benefits of AtlanticIT.net’s IaaS solution, as with cloud services in general, are significant:
- No upfront capital investment for IT infrastructure. The total cost of ownership is assumed by the service provider. You only pay for what you use each month, with the ability to scale up and down according to your specific needs, resulting in reduced operational costs.
- Access to top-of-the-line technology and expertise. Because you’re sharing these resources with other companies, you can enjoy the benefits of the latest computing technology for a fraction of the cost of purchasing it yourself. This technology is securely managed and maintained by a team of IT engineers and technicians, removing a costly and time-consuming burden from your staff.
- Flexibility to access network data and apps anytime, anywhere, with any device. Your network follows your employees everywhere, from a conference room to an airport terminal to a home office, enabling users to be more productive.
- Scalability. IaaS provides companies with the capacity to expand their IT services as needed – quickly and easily. As your business grows, your IT capabilities will grow with it.
Contact us and make Atlantic IT your outsourced IT department. We’ll help you identify legitimate cloud services and show you how our IaaS solution can help you reduce costs and improve the way you do business.