It’s a common perception among many small to midsize business (SMBs) that large enterprises have a handle on common IT issues. A recent global survey of IT managers in companies with more than 1,000 employees tells a different story.
On average, IT managers in large enterprises deal with eight unexpected IT issues per week, each requiring seven staff members to resolve. Among the most common IT issues are network slowdowns or outages (cited by 42 percent of respondents), poor performing applications (37 percent), availability issues (37 percent) and equipment failures (36 percent).
Many SMBs don’t have any IT personnel on staff, much less seven or more. How are smaller organizations supposed to keep up with the ongoing maintenance of their IT environment, and respond to the unexpected issues that inevitably crop up?
Outsourcing is the key. By outsourcing your IT operations to a managed services provider, you gain access to expertise and services that would cost a fortune to replicate in-house. The managed services provider invests in people, processes and technology, and spreads those costs across multiple customers. Through this “economies of scale” business model, managed services providers are able to offer a full suite of IT services for an affordable monthly fee.
A qualified managed services provider performs routine maintenance proactively to prevent as many issues as possible, and uses monitoring and remote access tools to quickly detect and resolve any problems that do arise. Help desk services give your users access to qualified technicians who can troubleshoot issues and provide expert advice and support.
None of this is new — the managed services market is mature and highly competitive. But now more than ever SMBs need managed services to help prevent downtime and performance problems. Why?
- Increased reliance on IT. Even the smallest organizations rely upon mission-critical systems in their day-to-day operations. If those systems fail, productivity and customer service will suffer.
- Growing IT complexity. Technology continues to advance at a breakneck pace, with complex interdependencies among various systems. It takes a team of experts to manage even small IT environments.
- Security risks. Data breaches, malware attacks and other threats continue to make headlines every day, and no business is immune. Systems must be patched, updated and monitored to reduce the risk of a potentially devastating cyber attack.
- Data protection. SMBs are storing more data than ever before — data that must be protected against loss. But ensuring that data is backed up and recoverable is notoriously tricky, and few SMBs have the manpower or knowledge to oversee this task.
The need for managed services is clear but which provider do you choose? Although the market is competitive, it’s important not to select a managed services provider strictly on price. Look for a provider with:
- A proven track record of success
- A team of engineers and technicians with broad expertise
- Robust processes and best practices
- The ability to manage all of your technology
Atlantic-IT.net designed its outsourced IT services and support to meet the needs of SMBs. Our managed services features real-time monitoring, proactive maintenance and unlimited support, freeing you from the headaches of managing your IT environment. As your outsourced IT department, we’re your best defense against unexpected IT issues.